Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Life is Short. Eternity is Forever.

Such was the Priest's statement today at a funeral service I attended. He was talking about how it could be any of us, at any time; so we ought to live every day like it is our last. No, he didn't mean in wild abandon, but as if what we do matters. I tend to agree with him, although I know I spend a lot of time doing meaningless things. Like cleaning a house that's not very dirty and washing dishes that could wait to be joined by at least a few more. I admire people who make time to spend time with family and friends, go camping and adventuring, take the kids to park or the library or the pool or to dance lessons, have the courage to leave their job (even if only sorta), to travel around the country, and do all of these things FIRST. In all these years of dealing with folks who had just lost a loved one, I never heard one person say, "gee, I wish I would have worked more..." (or cleaned the house, or did the dishes, or watched TV more). No, they all said things more like "I wish I had spent more time with him/her/them." So, yeah, life is short. That's why it's so precious. Spend accordingly.

No comments: