Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Naturals

Suzy said today that she wasn’t a good cook – whateevvver! Suzy is a great cook!!! She is creative and she has a style, panache, elegance, and flair most people would be envious of. I like to cook, but I am not necessarily a good cook. I have a lot of experience since I began cooking at a young age. My mother started working at nights while I was still in Junior High. She had to leave a hungry husband, three girls and two to four boys and their hungry friends (usually 4-6) to fend for themselves. Well they didn’t get to fend for themselves, because I took over fending for them. So I learned to cook in bulk: Mom’s diner style, Army mess-hall style, cafeteria style – you get the picture. But I am not a natural. I have to work at it. Suzy is a natural and I am always impressed with her cooking and her style.

This is not to ignore Cy and Kimberly. They are also naturals - good cooks who make efficient, tasty, spicy, mostly-good-for-you kinds of dishes. They always make the stuff you can’t resist. It’s not traditional soul food, but soul food none-the-less.

I’m hungry.

No comments: