Saturday, November 17, 2007

Don"t Try This At Home

So I was driving home from a shift at M21 tonight and I took the Mopac route to Davis and then cut through the sud-division to 1826. When what to my wondering eyes should appear? No, not reindeer, but a Bobby Lee lool-a-like, walking down the non-existant shoulder of 1826, barefoot, in a leather jacket and print boxers. It is dark-thirty. People are zooming past this guy with barely inches to spare. I turn onto Gallant Fox and think about what I should do. Calling 911 seems silly. So I turn around, turn on my flashers and wait for at least 30 more cars to speed by. Then I pull out onto 1826 and pull up next to walking-guy. His car is broke down. His wife is in Manchaca. He needs to get to the gas station. Cars are honking. Get in. (He sees my uniform and I know he won't try anything... crazy). I drive towards the gas station. "So," I say, "you are a long ways from Manchaca." He says: "I get into trouble." "What kind of trouble?" I ask. "Family violence."
F... I just picked up an axe murderer who resembles Bobby Lee - I think I will now call him Wing Nut...
So I take Wing Nut over to the gas station at the intersection of 1826 and 290 (yes, I made him put on his seat belt). I tell him to get out and I will call someone who will help him. 311 and a link to TCSO non-emergency. In less than 5 minutes, SO arrived to "help" my new friend Wing Nut.
A happy ending. But don't try this at home, kids.

No comments: