Sunday, December 9, 2007

I've Never Met Anyone Famous Before...

Yesterday, I started out sitting with Grant's father-in-law. I was supposed to be taking care of him while Kendall "walked." Since I was on call for Saturday, I bargained to get a standby for the evening so that I could be available in the morning. The powers that be did not have to allow this and they usually don't. I knew I wasn't going to get to do the Bike Medic thing and be at the Trail of Lights 5K. I did beg to do this, but was beat out of the competition when the guy in charge offered anyone who would volunteer, Starbucks along with the gig. If they called me to work day or night shift, it wouldn't matter - no TOL for me. So I did a standby at the Toros game. I not a big fan of basketball, but the Toros games are really nice. Very family oriented, activites for the kids, all kinds of diversions during slow times, and if you do like BBall, you are very close to the action. You could be watching the next Michael Jordan. You never know.
Oh, you were wondering about the famous person? Well, we parked our stretcher with all of the equipment on it (everything you need to handle anything from a bandaid to a full code), and sat in our designated chairs. An excited young man approached and said, "I never met anyone famous before! See? Over there? Do you know who that is?" Ahhhh, no. "It's Eva Longoria!!!"
Slow down dude. I don't think seeing her qualifies as meeting her. He was so excited, I had to pretend that I recognized that she was famous. Then I had to do the same thing for at least three more people. So when I got home I looked her up. She sounds like a really nice lady.
I did not meet her. I have seen and even talked to a few famous people and I am sure they are all nice. Did I tell you that I got to sit with Bill in the morning? Grant's father-in-law? I felt like I was the lucky one at the end of the morning. Or maybe the one who was entertained so that his family would feel better about him not being up to go to the graduation. The point is, the famous are often a curious and passing interest. Truly interesting and remarkable people are the ones otherwise known as ordinary.

No comments: