Friday, August 1, 2008

"This is going to sound a little funny..."

"...just pick it up about 6 or 7 inches, (trust me, I have given these instructions many times), and give it a good shake!" This is the technician at Dell giving me instructions on my printer. About a month after I purchased it, it started making a LOUD clacking noise when I turned it on. It was really difficult to get through to someone over the past few months, alsways being transferred and calls dropped and etc. It didn't fix it. Neither did unplugging it, restarting it or anything else they suggested. But, it's not a problem, right? It copies and scans and doesn't make noises when it does that, right? Right. Obviously, you people at Dell know this printer has this problem. I pointed this out and the fact that if they were driving a new car that suddenly started making a strange noise, they would keep driving it until it was FUBAR, right? You know the noise isn't supposed to be there and is a portent of the breakdown to come, so just send me a new printer.
Well they are, but it is "refurbished." In Dell lingo, reburbished doesn't mean used. It means technicians have opened the box and put the thing through it's paces (because they KNOW this one has problems?), in an attempt to make sure you get one with no problems. The new printer arrived. We'll see.

No comments: