Friday, May 4, 2007

Alarming

Tuesday night, Suzy, Paul, Retta and Cliff took off to Lake Jackson. I managed to get my blueberry bush planted, the car cleaned out and my CPR manikins clean and back together that night. I cleaned all day Wednesday so that I would be able to bake most of Thursday. About an hour after falling asleep on Wednesday, the smoke alarm went off. No, there wasn't a fire or smoke, it was just letting me know that it was time for a new battery. Jarred, and a little shaky, I went back to sleep. Two hours after that, a big bolt of lightning struck somewhere near by, knocked out the electricity for a second and set off the security alarm. I jumped up from bed, completely confused and terrified, (mind you, when I am at work, I am regularly wakened by alarms to go to someone in trouble, but nothing like this!). I had never heard that security alarm before. Apparently the alarm is designed to be so loud that the burglar/bad guy CAN'T stay in the house. It was loud enough to paralyze me. I am afraid if anyone ever really broke in and set the thing off, I would be more incapacitated than the bad guy. Anyway, I am glad that the rest of the family didn't have to endure the alarming night that I did.

2 comments:

Suz said...

oh man. that's happened to us twice. and both times it was downright insane and required complete evactuation of the house until we figured out what to do and got our senses together enough to re-enter the house and disarm ...

Jamie said...

I've never heard of that type of alarm. I hope my ears never have to endure it!