Thursday, August 5, 2010

Saltillo, Dia quatro


Yesterday was so late, that I did not get to post, so even though it is late again, I do not want to get too far behind. Tomorrow is a big fiesta here and we are going straight to the mountains in the morning.


Today, was the third and final day of class. Last night, we left a bottle of wine (I gave the other bottle to an older patron of the bomberos. Louis said I should be sure to take my ID with me to prove my age - flattery gets you a bottle of wine)with our hostess. It turned out that she has a HUGE cup and mug collection, so we also gave her the Austin mug. Micela´likes coffee as much as I do, so I was grateful that she is an early riser and had it all ready, plus fruit and pastries. Class was another day of learning how much Spanish I do not know. Our teacher taught the class using very little English, so at times, I felt quite lost. We had a nice little graduation and did a little piece at the end for the TV camera, shouting, ¡Saltillo, eres tu! and then pointing at the camera. The flowers our leader ordered for the teacher did not show up on time. Fortunately we had a nice little gift bag with bluebonnet soap from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center a very nice stationary set and a bag of Austin Nuts (packed in Manor, Texas), packaged and ready to go for the teacher. Lunch at the same restaurant with more napolitos (and they were heavenly), pasta soup and carne. Then on to the Museum of the Desert in Mexico where we spent a considerable amount of time. It is a great museum - lots to see, beautiful and modern. I could have watched the bats for hours. We had little time to get back and change before going to the next fire station. More. Good. Food. I do not know what it was for sure, that is I forgot the name, but it was good. ¿Did I say it was good? Another guitarist, (he does play in a Mariachi band - one of my favorites) this one after dinner and I danced with Rueben (another patron), a very short dance, but quite fun. Finally, we made it back here and now I am off to bed because as I said, we are going to the mountains first thing. BTW, this area reminds me of both Wyoming and Austin. It has the mountains of Wyo and a lot of the plants of Austin.

No comments: